Tuesday, November 22, 2011

TROUT TAILS - November 22, 2011


NUMBER: 2011-054-58
DATE:  11-16-20-2011
LOCATION:  Erie, PA
 
Fished the Erie tribs last week for five days with Herb and Brett.  Conditions started off perfect on weds with water levels on the drop from recent rains.  Did very well all day as the fish were actively moving and aggressive.  Thursday was a little slow with the water clearing and dropping overnight.  We only managed a couple fish each.  Some late day snow melt on Friday surprisingly picked things up and we had our best day of the week catching well over several dozen fish between the three of us.  Saturday and Sunday brought some crowds, but we were able to catch a decent number of fish each day and everyone was polite…for the most part  We did run into two guys at the end of the day on Saturday that the concept of stream etiquette escaped them completely.  I understand there are going to be crowds, but if you come across someone fishing and you and them are the ONLY ones on the creek for MILES in either direction, and they can touch you with their rod tip, YOU ARE TOO CLOSE!   This was Herb’s first trip to Erie and we had him in a run where he was getting into a good number of fish (they were on the move, and EVERYWHERE)!  Two guys came up stream with about ½ hour of daylight left, told us they had been pounding fish, then started fishing right next to Herb…again, fish all over just downstream of him and everyone else was gone.  After Herb hooks into another one, Brett goes downstream to net it, and the one guy tries to now jump into Brett’s spot and looked at me like I was crazy when I “politely” asked him to move.  99.9% of the people I run into up there are usually great, too bad the other 0.1% are around.   All and all though a great trip, and can’t wait to get back up!




















Monday, November 14, 2011

TROUT TAILS - November 14, 2011

NUMBER: 2011-048-049
DATE:  10-29-30-2011
LOCATION:  North-central PA

 Been tough to get any reports out lately, been spending a ton of time on the water…love fall!  Here are a couple of some of the more recent trips. 

Spent a few days two weekends ago with my friend Herb Baker, chasing some browns around in north central PA.  We haven’t fished together since Chile, so it was nice to finally hit some water together.  Dealt with cold, rain, and snow most of Saturday, but had nice weather Sunday.  We managed to find a few big cooperative fish, including a beautiful 22 incher, and got some cool underwater shots.  Nice weekend on the stream with a good friend.  Also, nice to have another photographer along!  







 
NUMBER: 2011-050-53
DATE:  11-10-13-2011
LOCATION:  Erie, PA

Brad and I headed up to Erie for a few days.  Water conditions are tough!!!  Water is extremely low and clear!  Fine tippets and small flies/egg patterns were the key.  Caught 4-6 fish each/each day, which we considered great with the conditions.  Caught one hog of a male on Saturday that had to weigh 10lbs or better.  Leaves are also a major issue right now.  Need some rain to flush the creeks and bring the water up so the fish can move.  Looks like some rain is in the forecast for early this week, but not much….plan on heading back up Wednesday.  Hopefully the creeks rise some! 








Sunday, October 23, 2011

TROUT TAILS - October 23, 2011

NUMBER: 2011-045-047
DATE:  10-21-23-2011
LOCATION:  Northcentral PA

 Spent this weekend hunting for big fish.  Water levels were high and it was raining, overcast, and cold most of the weekend.  Fishing was overall a little slow, and I must have hiked 40 miles, but did manage to find a couple willing fish.  






Sunday, October 16, 2011

TROUT TAILS - October 16, 2011

NUMBER: 2011-45

Fall is here!!! Couple shots from the past week in State College (shots 1 & 2) and one from the mountains of NC PA.  


Fall is here!!!